Thursday, June 02, 2016

finding space to create with Mary


Back when it all began, that is- my love affair with art, I would spread out my paint bottles and brushes, bits of paper, and washi tape all over our dining room table. We rarely ate there anyway, and I loved watching the birds dance with the wind from that particular window. It was almost as if they were teaching me a bit about letting my soul out to play on each canvas that I'd drip and spill paint over.


Declaring a space that allows us to get downright messy in the art of making is so vitally important! It says to the universe and to yourself that what you are doing matters. (Because it really, truly does!)

After countless hours of creating at our dining room table, it became clear that I needed a more permanent space. While I loved being so integrated into the happenings around our home - I longed for a space where I could get as messy as I wanted and not feel obligated to clean it up (...ever;)). So these days I'm creating joyful messes in a spare bedroom in our house. I have big dreams of one day having a little art studio nestled in the trees above our house, but for now, I love being so close to my family. It makes sense during this season of my life, since most of my creating happens when my son naps! But the point is: where you choose to create doesn't matter - what matters is that you create. And we all need space for this! 

You will probably notice that when you dedicate a specific space for the making of your art, you will create more frequently. Not only will it beckon you to come and play, but for practical reasons - it's just easier when everything is already set up and waiting for you!


You will probably also notice that once you are all set up and spending more time with your craft that you feel all around lighter, brighter, and happier than before!

Tips on making a space to create:
1. Make it your own! Hang favorite art on the walls, (or even PAINT on a wall - Alisa could teach you a thing or two about that! ;)) display objects or photographs that mean something to you or evoke feelings of inspiration and joy.


2. If you can, choose a space with gorgeous, natural lighting! There is nothing more delicious than making art in natural sunlight. Creating near big windows is my favorite! I love to feel as close to nature as possible when I paint, so for me this is huge.

3. Start small and basic. If you find yourself stressing over a lack of space, or if you just don't know where to start - remember to keep it simple! It doesn't matter where you choose. Just choose it!

You can check out more guest posts from Mary Wagering HERE

Or you can find Mary:

Over on her website HERE 
Her shop HERE
Instagram HERE

6 comments:

studioGypsy said...

love. xo

Julie Filatoff said...

Mary, I love the paper chains! I have some two-sided Gelli Arts monoprints that would look great that way. Looks like you used edge-cut dies on the long sides. Very, very cool!

Carol Bird said...

Feeling Inspired. Honestly, sometimes I get stuck in the mess. Literally stuck. Here's to powering through and making a beautiful space to create. THANK YOU for the inspiration.

Carol Bird said...

Feeling Inspired to GET UNSTUCK. The mess can be overwhelming. You make me believe it will be worth the push! THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATION.

Dee said...

I love this beautiful & bright creative space!

Evergreen Mo said...

I am in the process of having my garage converted to a studio. www.evergreenmo.blogspot.co.uk. Have spent a lot of years working from kitchen tables and spare bedrooms so this is mega exciting. Hope I can make a creative space as colourful as yours. Concerned in quiet moments, I may freak out given the expectation to create in this new dream space. Have just found this site. Love the little stones

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails