Tuesday, June 14, 2016

tie dye chair

I've had my eye on tie dye and Shibori furniture for a while. Our living room is a relaxed mix of boho and beach inspired decor and I thought a tie dye chair would go great! But there is no way I was going to spend the money. So the next best thing in my world is to figure out a way to make my own!

My inspiration
source: 1 2 3 4

I grabbed a white cotton sheet, a few packages of Tulip One-Step Dye Kits in blue and got busy creating some yardage of dyed fabric.

I used two different techniques. I can't go as far to say that these techniques are 100% Shibori but I did my best with limits on my time and materials. For one piece of fabric, I used an accordion fold that I bound with rubber bands. The other piece of fabric I made ring patterns by gathering up a handful of fabric and binding it with rubber bands- I filled the entire surface with these rings.

I followed the directions for the one step dye and let my fabric sit for about 6 hours then washed and dried it!


The result are some really fun pieces of blue fabric that have that tie dye/Shibori vibe I was going for!

I have an old chair that belonged to my grandparents that I keep at my studio. I have plans to some day have this chair professionally upholstered but not any time soon! So I brought the chair home and used No-Sew Fabric Glue to make a couple of temporary and simple covers for the cushions and ruffle. 

While the chair is nowhere near perfect, I LOVE the beachy and relaxed vibe it adds to our living room!





11 comments:

Els04 said...

love this so much!!!

Stephanie said...

great project. Lucy is getting so big!

Crooked Feather Studio said...

This is so fun! I love it!

Naked Eye Studio said...

What a fun project! I love the way it turned out, it fits with your home's style so well!

Unknown said...

Love this project - great inspiration! Also adore your rug.....wondering where you found that. Or did you make it yourself?

peggy gatto said...

Thanks for the ideas!!!

se7en said...

This year, as soon as school is out, our kids are going to be tie dying their bedding... can't wait!!! Bit now that I see your couch... I am dying... it is so divine!!!

Unknown said...

Are these completely "no sew"? Just wondering how well the glue holds up?? Thanks!

Judys Lace Creations said...

Love your little one. Bet your home is an artist's paradise with so many colourful creations and paintings.Love your posts always.Thank you.
Judy

Brig said...

Once again Alisa, you've given me a great idea. I've been looking at my well worn couch that's grubby from also having a 4.5 year old and have been wondering how to make a temporary upgrade to it until I can afford a new lounge ... Which I don't see the point of buying until my daughter's a bit older. Yes, this is the perfect solution! Thank you!!! It'll be fun too I'm sure. I can see you adding some nice hand drawn patterns on yours as well.

maeve said...

Love this tie dye chair - fabulous! And of course, the darling little girl sitting on the chair only adds to it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails