Monday, April 04, 2016

creating with a kid: homemade paint brushes

I love finding projects that Lucy and I can both get excited about. I am finding that the older she gets, the more common creative interests we have! One of my favorite things to do in my own creative process is to make handmade paint brushes. I love using them to paint interesting and expressive marks in the layers of my art. I knew this process would be right up Lucy's alley so recently we spent the afternoon hunting for all kinds of things from the yard that we could transform into our very own unique paint brushes.

Just about anything from nature will work- stems, branches, flowers, grass, etc and dried up paint bushes, sticks and skewers make great handles.


We simply taped our flowers and plants to the end of our handles.

Next we got busy painting! I like using ink with handmade brushes because it really picks up texture and details.

Word of warning this process (whether you are young or old) is SUPER messy but SO MUCH FUN!



My hope in sharing this process with Lucy is that she is able to see creative potential in simple, everyday things!

You can read my entire series of "creating with a kid" posts HERE


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails