Tuesday, January 26, 2016

in the studio with Mary Wangerin

Today I am excited to introduce my friend Mary to you guys! She is an artist, wife and mama and in the coming months, she will be contributing a variety of creative guest posts here on the blog. Today she is sharing peek inside her studio and her world.


Tell us a little bit about yourself and your journey with art.

Hello! I’m Mary. I’m an artist, wife, and mama living in a magical town on the Oregon coast where the forest meets the sea. I’m a professional joy-seeker and believer that all of life is art (yes, you too!). It is important to me to look for beauty everywhere – especially in the ordinary, everyday moments.



As a little girl I believed the truth that I was an artist, and would spend hours painting, drawing and dreaming - and then somehow, somewhere along the way, that belief was buried deep inside. I spent my early adult years attending college at Oregon State University obtaining degrees in Interior Design and Psychology, and working as a designer. It wasn’t until about five years ago that I finally picked up a paintbrush and gave in to my soul’s longings to get my hands messy with paint (again). You guys, in this moment, I heard angels sing. My heart cracked wide open, as if communicating to me– so THIS is what it feels like to be alive! I’ve been creating to my hearts content ever since.


What inspires you? What motivates you to make art?

I’m inspired by so much of daily life. Coffee dates with my people. Sunlight streaming through windows. Rain on our tin roof! Road trips to nowhere in particular. Favorite songs turned way up, with the windows rolled down. My son’s laughter and excitement about life. The ocean at sunset. Walking amidst the forest behind our house.  Bold colors/textures/patterns. Thrift shopping. Collaborating with other artists. Snail mail. All things that make my heart skip a beat.


Making art is my heart’s favorite way of communicating, documenting, expressing, and savoring. 



What is your favorite medium to work in?

My all time favorite medium to work with will forever be acrylic paint. But since my son’s birth 8 months ago I’m also loving just a regular old pen and sketchbook because there is no mess and I can take it on the go!



I know that you juggle a lot of different projects. How do you organize your creative schedule.

Learning to say ‘no’ to projects or commitments that don’t have my full heart has been one of the most valuable life lessons for me! I’ve also gotten really good at prioritizing. I make a giant list of all of the things I want to do and then choose to tackle the most important or time sensitive ones first. I came across a great quote recently that really resonates with me – ‘do less with more focus’. A lot of days are still very scattered as I learn to juggle being a mama with being an artist. Some days are super productive and other days I never make it out of my jammies! It is one of those forever learning processes for me.



What is a typical day like for you.

I am pretty loose and flexible when it comes to the structure of my day. It has been 8 months since the birth of my son and I feel as though I am still in this process of integrating my artist self with my mama self. What I do know is that every single day, the most important things get done – laughter, togetherness, adventuring outside (even if it’s a walk down the lane in between rain spells!), and creating during nap times (I’ve learned that the dishes and laundry can wait).


How did you start lettering? Can you tell us a little about the lettering process?

I love to incorporate words or quotes into my work! Often, the word or quote I choose tends to reflect how I’m feeling that day. They serve as gentle reminders or inspiration.
I believe in the beauty of imperfections and messes, so almost all of my lettering mirrors this! I grab a small-tipped paintbrush and go for it – I rarely ever pencil or trace it out first.



What are you working on right now?

Currently I’m working on a couple of giant paintings for my house! Because these pieces are for me/my family, I’m able to really let go (which is always the goal!) and have so much carefree fun with them

You can see Mary-

Over on her website HERE 

Her shop HERE

Instagram HERE

15 comments:

jabbott said...

Very inspiring lady and a beautiful artist x

Unknown said...

I love the layers in your work. Is there a link to your website?

sandy w said...

I love this life story. What happiness and joy you found!

denise said...

I was surprised that there wasn't a link, too, so I went to the www. and found her blog: http://theturquoisepaintbrush.blogspot.com

studioGypsy said...

oh!!! i love love mary!! so fun to see her on your blog... can't wait for more! xooxxo

Alisa Burke said...

links have been added!

Amy Maricle said...

Such beautiful colors and sentiments! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the introduction to another new 'favourite' artist :) I love her style and can always use more inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Alisa for introducing MaryW to us - she and her absolutely adorable happy baby and her life are soooo inspirational - thank you for being sooo kind in inviting fresh and exciting artists to your site - just you - thank you : )
Blessings - Sandra in AZ : )

Amanda Fall said...

I love Mary and her work! Thrilled to see her here & looking forward to more!

Naked Eye Studio said...

Beautiful work, I love the colors! Excited to see your posts in the future Mary!

Nicki said...

Nice to meet you, Mary! And thank you, Alisa, for introducing us!

Anonymous said...

Inspiring work! Excited to see more from you in the future. Thank you Alisa!

SewPaperPaint said...

WOW!!!

Bethany Magnie said...

"Do less with more focus." I also needed that! Loving all the fellow Oregonians also!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails