Monday, July 13, 2015

coiled rope door mat

Living in Oregon a door mat it an essential item. While the winter months require something heavy duty, in the summer I like having fun dressing up our front porch with a decorative mat. Since I have been working with rope for a couple of years, I knew that a coiled rope rug would be an easy project and a fun way to add a little embellishment to the front porch.
I start with cotton clothesline rope. You can use just about any kind of rope but I really like the clothesline rope because it's easy to work with and doesn't fray. 

I love painting the rope- I used a spray bottle filled with acrylic paint and water to add a little contrast to my rope.

To begin, coil the rope into a circle. 

Using a sewing machine, zig zag stitch the coil together and keep coiling and stitching. 

FYI- I spend lots of time sewing heavy duty and non-traditional materials on my machine- I typically use a denim needle for these kinds of projects.

Continue coiling and sewing until you have created a circle.

I created lots of coiled circles in different sizes.

Next, I arranged my coiled circles so that their sides were touching and then I began to sew them together.

I kept adding circles and sewing until I created an abstract door mat.


Looking for more rope projects?


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails