Monday, September 08, 2014

family beads


As Lucy gets older I am having so much fun making things that bring her joy! She loves family, they are like super heros for her so I thought it would be fun to create some whimsical beads with family members on them that could be turned to necklaces for play.
Wood beads are really fun especially for kids projects because you can use all kinds of supplies to transform them! 

I wanted my beads to have a whimsical and illustrative look so I used a black micron pen (they are permanent) and started by drawing really simple little portraits.

Next, I used watercolors to add color. The cool part of using watercolors with wood is that the wood soaks it up and the colors are more translucent which for me is a fun alternative to my typical thick layers of acrylic paint.

I created all kinds of family members (I still have more to make).

Then I added the bead to twine to create some simple necklaces

Needless to say they are a big HIT- lots of playing, lots of stories and lots of conversations have come from these little wooden beads!






27 comments:

livethegoldenrule said...

WOW !! After all the beautiful things you have made that I love...I think these might be my favorite!!! Love these!! You are too C L E V E R !!!!!

Joan Princing Art said...

These are ABSOLUTELY 100% ADORABLE!!!! Love them. :o)

gabi said...

i wish more people on earth were that heart-warmingly creative ... i'll try to be that way too, thanks for your inspiring blog.

Daire said...

Thank you for the inspiration! Somebody gave me a big bag of giant wooden beads the other day and I've been trying to think of ways to use them :-)

linda said...

OMG, these are adorable!

LOCKwerkE said...

This idea is great and so wonderful. I love it. Thank you. Best wishes Karin

Erin Fish said...

Your creativity is amazing. These are wonderful!

Ashley said...

Did you put a clear coat of some sort over them!?

Julie said...

How cute is this?! I love it! My daughter is only a year and a half old but LOVES to wear mommy's bracelets, so I could probably make this with stretchy string for her to wear on her wrist. Love it!

Elisabetta Brustio said...

Bellissima idea!!!!

OnePerfectDay said...

These are truly wonderful!
Great idea and lovely execution!!

annette said...

clever! beads are quite educational, combining tactile, verbal, mathematical thinking/learning... plus so fun!

Heather T said...

These are adorable; I can see why Lucy loves them.

peggy gatto said...

Just a delightful idea and they are charming!!!

jackie peters said...

Absolutely the cutest thing I have ever seen!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, so cute.

Bel said...

what a great idea, so gorgeous.

Kristin said...

Oh yes, that's brilliant! xo

AlexM said...

Lovely idea! Thanks for being a constant source of inspiration!

studioGypsy said...

soo adorable!! lovelove these!! xoxo

Diana Sh P said...

Amazing!

Anonymous said...

These are just lovely for a child to have. What a lovely idea well executed.
Sara

JustForDaisy said...

You are way too clever! These are divine!!

Unknown said...

These are soo Fantastic I adore them thanks for sharing xxxx

Mary Chu said...

beautiful idea! you are so talented.

Anonymous said...

What size wooden beads did you use?

Sanjay Sharma said...

Movers And
Great Idea
Packers Burdhwan

Packers And Movers Burdhwan
Packers And Movers Kolkata Garia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails