Tuesday, July 29, 2014

doodled dishwasher

As I shared yesterday, we are in the midst of working on transforming our kitchen into something that is a little more our style and part of that style is incorporating creative little touches. After looking at our budget, we decided that replacing all of our appliances with new ones just didn't matter that much to us. The only appliance that needs to be replaced is our stove, the dishwasher and fridge are GREAT- no they are not top of the line stainless steel but they work just fine. The dishwasher is dated so I decided to use my love of drawing pattern to transform a dishwasher from the 80's into a fun piece of art!

While I could have drawn directly onto the surface of the dishwasher I decided to go with something a little less permanent (I tend to change things so I wanted to be able to take my drawing off and make a new one someday!) so I used white contact paper.

I cut the contact paper to size (I covered all the areas except the panel of buttons). 

The next step I gave lots of thought and planning- while I could have doodled on the paper before sticking it to the dishwasher, after some experimentation, it was pretty challenging so I decided to go ahead and stick the blank paper to the dishwasher and then draw. 

Then I went to town doodling! I work pretty fast on creative projects but this one wasTIME CONSUMING- it took me an entire day (about 9+ hours) which for me is a long time. It was hard on my black and my hand but the end result is SO cool!

In one day and for about $10.00 our dated dishwasher was transformed into a really cool and unique statement piece in the kitchen! So much better than stainless steel (in my opinion).

For those who will ask- yes, we have run the dishwasher a couple of time and the contact paper is holding up just fine!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful as always !!!

Karin - The F Girl said...

Love it. What a great idea!

Unknown said...

What a great idea to refresh the kitchen furniture. Dear Alisa, congratulations for your creativity!

Domestic Cleaning Services Clapham

Unknown said...

Such a great idea! And You have personalized dishwasher! Beautiful!

Ingrid Orens said...

Didn't think that your great dishwasher-restyling was done with something as simple as contact paper...
But those 9 hours of drawing in a difficult position does make it a tad more challenging ;-)...

Kelly Cort said...

I love it! I did something similar to a metal storage cabinet--but doodled directly on to it, and it is holding up just fine. This is such a great idea for all sorts of 'boring' things. :)

Elisabetta Brustio said...

Grande idea ed ottimo risultato!... belle anche le rose del bordo sotto, la ADORO!!!!!
Great idea and great result! ... Even beautiful roses border below, I LOVE it!!

Hua said...

Thank you for sharing your work! I have loved all your art projects and this one is definitely one to make me think outside the box. I love how you work around your daughter which shows patience and diligence and the importance you put into incorporating her into your loves. Lucy is so blessed.

Craftcherry said...

Gorgeous! What a lovely idea!

Virginia said...

Wow that's fantastic, I remember doing Celtic Knotwork in our old house and it took hours and hours and hours, I remember spending an evening laid down near the skirting board to paint - hard work - but worthwhile

trish said...

Super idea to use the contact paper! Can you explain what made it challenging to doodle on the paper before hand? I would think that would be easier so am really curious add to what happened.

alisa burke said...

Hi Trish! Well to begin with I am more comfortable drawing upright when I am working on a large surface. The contact paper is kind of trickly- since it is not like regular paper it was really difficult and nearly impossible (for me) to completely flatten it out enough to really get comfortable drawing as much detail as I was. It may work for someone else but for me it was easier (despite the awkward positions) to draw while it was one the dishwasher. It was really important for me to step back and look at the pattern and the way it developed on the actual dishwasher :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful project. And it really makes one consider just how versatile this contact paper idea could be when it comes to customizing/beautifying other mundane objects!

Serena Lewis said...

It looks awesome! The door of our dishwasher doesn't get hot at all so I think the contact paper will hold up very well.

Arlene said...

Dar Alicia. Come. To. My. House! Bring your black markers. Period, the end

Mrs. Hoadley said...

BIG Question: When will your line of wallpaper and/or contact paper be out for purchase?? :)

Ashley said...

I can see where some who have stainless steel already will be wanting to try this... Nice job!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love this - how fabulous to use this area for your art.

Mary W said...

SO, so worth it! Ten times better than any other dishwasher I've ever seen. I'm off to do my shower curtain since I don't have a dishwasher. Next, maybe a valance somewhere. You have GREAT ideas.

studioGypsy said...

lovelovelove!!! xoxo

Carrie said...

Love this so much...I am such a bad doodler, you are so inspiring!

Rebecca Doane said...

that is exactly what i was wondering! i knew i wouldn't be the only one. haha. :)

CeCe said...

I noticed it in an earlier post and thought it was wonderful. The funny thing is, we are doing a remodel and I am painting an appliance and adding moldings. Fun.. I Hate Stainless Steel...and my fridge I am going to paint is just that...Anyway...yours looks FAB!

Jan said...

LUCY is absolutely, THEE most beautiful little girl I have ever seen!!!!!! And she is also very blessed because of the 2 people that brought her into this world. (oh, and i love your dishwasher too!)

dresses said...

This dress is very beautiful

Unknown said...

This gives me sooooo many ideas!
Lucy is growing fast and so cute I just wanna squeeze her!!

Lynn said...

Love this! Reminds me of years ago when our old fridge still worked but looked awful. I decided to cover it with wall paper which (at the time) matched the rest of the room. It came out perfectly and used it until we moved 10 years later.

confetti lab said...

Wauw that looks GREAT!

Beko OneTouch said...

Good idea with nice design! Some extra sharing for kitchen here on Beko OneTouch Dishwasher which include the “mixed wash” technology which applies different water pressures on each basket to protect your delicate glassware while giving pots and pans a thorough wash. See my review at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/new-beko-onetouch-dishwasher-dfn1000x/

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous project! Love how the dishwasher turned out!!!

Glimmerbug said...

I kinda wish I didn't buy a new dishwasher now! Great job!

Unknown said...

Just love this. I am curious--does contact paper come off completely? (I haven't played around with it since we covered our school books with it in high school!) I'm wondering if I could do this with our apartment dishwasher that is a lovely olive green/yellow color. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails