Wednesday, February 26, 2014

orange chicken

If there is one thing in this world I crave more than anything it is orange chicken- preferably the unhealthy fast food kind! So in my on going quest to fulfill my cravings but in a healthier way, I have been making myself homemade orange chicken- minus the unhealthy ingredients! Orange chicken is actually really fast and easy to make!

CHICKEN PREPARATION: There are a number of ways to prepare the chicken but I like to simply cube around 4-5 chicken breasts or cutlets and bake them in the oven or a pan. An alternative is to make crispy chicken by breading it and frying or baking it.

ORANGE SAUCE:
1 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of sambal or your favorite spice (if you like spice)
1-2 minced garlic gloves
1 tablespoon of cornstarch

While the chicken is cooking add the ingredients to a sauce pan. 
Bring to a simmer. 
The last step is to add the cornstarch (I mix it with a little bit of water first to prevent lumping) to the sauce and bring to a boil. 
Heat until it is thickened.
Remove from heat and lightly toss with the chicken.
I like to sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions on top of jasmine rice.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails