Wednesday, August 28, 2013

ways to fill white space

My sketchbook is all about getting ideas out of my head, it is a place to practice and a place to warm up my creative muscles. Because I spend a lot of time sketching and keeping a visual journal, a BIG part of my process is filling a page. Most of the time when I sit down to draw or doodle I try to fill all the white space on the page with something...anything! The daily practice of working from start to finish and filling white space has become a great lesson in learning (and embracing) the discipline it takes to complete a creative project. Today I wanted to share a few of my favorite simple ways to fill white space.

In my opinion color is one of the easiest ways to fill white space. If left white, the subject matter is is nice but if you choose to fill the space around that subject matter with color, things begin to POP and instantly become more dynamic.

Tip- Try adding more saturated color along the edges of your drawing this will get things to jump off the page even more.







Free writing, journaling and adding text to white space is a great way to not only fill the space but it is also a fun way to keep a journal. 


Depending on your subect matter you can add observations, inspiration, ideas, even recipes!


TIP- Try getting creative with the placement of your writing. Add text inside the borders, in between shapes and around your subject matter.



I love to doodle and I have discovered that simple shapes or pattern are a great way to fill up white space. Use all those nooks and crannies in between your subject matter and fill them with smaller doodles.


TIP- Keep it simple with dots and dashes or get more complex with intricate lines and pattern. 






Theres is no rule that says that white space needs to be filled with clean details! One of my favorite ways to fill space is with lots of messy swipes of color, drips, scribbles and expressive marks. 

TIP: Set out to "attack" your sketchbook page like you would a mixed media project. Begin with a colorful, messy and expressive background and then draw over the top.



As much as I love trying to fill all the white space on a page, there is something quite beautiful about holding onto some of that blank space!

TIP: Try drawing from the corner of the page or offsetting your drawings to one side this creates visual harmony between your drawing and the white space.


For more information about my sketching process and supplies visit HERE

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Que maravilla

Unknown said...

Stupenda arte che vibra da ogni tua linea!!
Bellalullo

Chrissy Dev said...

I absolutely loved your sketch book. You have inspired me to pick my my own sketch book and start doodling again :)

Sirpa said...

Oh how beautiful!!
Thank you for sharing all this!
I love especially the page with shells!

Anya @ SAS-does said...

Thank you for sharing your creative suggestions, Alisa. I love sketchbooks filled with "stuff". I will try to incorporate some writing and patterns.

Kim said...

You are an inspiration. I go no where without my sketch pad and I find myself pulling it out more often since starting to follow your blog.

shirley said...

Your work is so inspiring and makes me want to take out my sketch book too. Alas my fabric book project is taking up all my time. Maybe after Xmas.

Terri said...

Wonderful post! It was just the inspiration (and kick) I needed to muster up some motivation, which I've been lacking with personal projects. Your first statement really struck a note for me "getting ideas out of my head." Thank you for that reminder.

Amanda R said...

Hi Alisa,

Great post as always! I wonder if you can give some tips for keeping messy fillers from going 'muddy' (brown and dirty looking). The different colors in your palette blend so well while still showing their individual shades.

Thanks so much!

dawn said...

How beautiful your pages are! Thank you so much for these ideas, love them and so helpful. I am one who loves white space so it was nice to see the last one even though the filled in space is beautiful!!

Madeline Rains said...

Your sketch class has been so helpful to me in all areas of my art, not just sketching. Like your advise above to add more intense color at the edges of the actual drawing, that helps me so much with shirt I am painting right now. Thank you!

Zosias said...

Thanks for awesome ideas! :) I think that I can buy a sketchbook and draw something :D Stay amazing Alisa,

Sophie

Elobibie said...

So beautiful

Rebecca D. Dillon said...

I absolutely LOVE these. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity and inspiration!

Melissa @ Sweet As Texas Honey said...

It's awesome seeing these ideas all together. I like seeing their effect side by side. You're always sharing ideas that help me stretch my creative muscles!

Unknown said...

obat wasir obat wasir luar obat wasir atau ambeien alami obat ambeien atau wasir herbal herbal wasir ampuh obat wasir obat wasir ampuh obat wasir untuk ibu hamil obat wasir

Anonymous said...

This was awesome. Thx for your help ...../......)

Unknown said...

nanah keluar dari kemaluan cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan obat cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat ujung kemaluan keluar cairan nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar cairan nanah cara mengobati ujung kemaluan keluar nanah ujung kemaluan keluar nanah di sertai perih saat kencing penyebab penis keluar nanah penyebab penis keluar nanah cara mengobati penis keluar nanah kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan keluar nanah kemaluan keluar cairan nanah mengapa kemaluan keluar nanahcairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan kencing perih dan keluar cairan nanah cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan pria mengapa cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan kemaluan pria keluar nanah

Unknown said...

penyebab kemaluan keluar cairan nanah cara mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah kemaluan keluar nanah di sertai perih saat kencing mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah pada pria mengobati kemaluan keluar cairan nanah pada pria mengobati kelamin keluar nanah mengobati kemaluan pria yang keluar nanah nanah keluar dari kemaluan cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan obat cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar cairan nanah cara mengobati ujung kemaluan keluar nanah ujung kemaluan keluar nanah di sertai perih saat kencing penis keluar cairan nanah dan kencing perih penyebab penis keluar nanah cara mengobati penis keluar nanah obat alat kelamin keluar nanah obat cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan obat cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan mengapa kemaluan keluar nanah cara mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah obat kemaluan keluar nanah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails