Wednesday, July 31, 2013

handmade paper

I have been making paper since I was a kid and recently after accumulating all kinds of scraps of recycled papers, I decided pull out my paper making supplies to transform all those scraps into something new! Its messy and not the easiest project to tackle but nothing beats the texture of homemade paper!

There are all kinds of ways to create handmade paper (supplies, short cuts, process). The process above is what I use. TIP-I like to speed things up by finishing the drying process in the oven. When my paper is dry enough to peel off the screen, I lay it on a cookie sheet and let it bake in the oven on a low setting until it is completely dry.


 While the natural color of my recycled paper is pretty, I like to kick the color up by painting it.


I use acrylic paint and give the surface a nice thick layer on the front and back.


And while the bright colorful paper is BEAUTIFUL I like to keep going and add pattern to the surface.


I use paint, paint pens, permanent pens, just about anything to add pattern!



The result is beautiful, colorful paper full of texture and perfect to use in all kinds of projects!



16 comments:

Vilda said...

Those are so awsomely pretty! Do you use a dehydrator?

dawn said...

Gorgeous!

I made paper at college once, but I didn't think to paint it with nice bright colours, so it was a bit dull. I created a self portrait from ripped up bits of orange, blue, grey and yellow. Also wish I'd had a blender, I had a bucket and a stick! :)

Unknown said...

One of my favorite morning routines is reading your blog. What a colorful way to start off my day. Thank you for sharing.

Beverley Baird said...

Such gorgeous papers! I took a course in papermaking a while back and loved it. Need to get back to it!

jennifer said...

Can you use glossy magazines or catalog paper? This seems like a fun project with kids.

jennifer said...

Can you recycle glossy magazines and catalogs? This seems like a fun project to do with kids.

Jane Wetzel said...

just had to pop in...tyou for this info=love your paper ! your blog is so awesome to read and LOVE your sweet baby pics :)

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

wow that is soo creative and cool

Terri said...

Wow, this is really amazing! I am in awe. I've always wanted to learn how to make handmade paper, so I thank you for sharing this. I'm so excited to try this now. Love the variety you made.

livethegoldenrule said...

Beautiful, as usual ;D) You always make something cool out of almost nothing, my kind of girl!!

Laura Lea said...

Inspirational post and just what I needed to get back into papermaking. I make paper on and off and have since I was little too. Usually I make paper in the summer months. I've just finished redoing my craft/art area and made a separate bin of papermaking materials so it's going to be easier to gather and clean up (hopefully). I've never painted my handmade paper but seeing the contrast that you created with the printing on top really added to the pop and textural impact- Wow!

Anonymous said...

What pretty paper! I bet there are a million uses for them too!

Jill said...

Gorgeous paper!! Could you please give exact instructions on how you made it?--what kind of paper did you use for pulp, how did you get the color, how much water, etc. Thank you so much!!

oklyous said...

Gorgeous.
Oh I so wanna try and make my own paper!
- just need that screen to get started. Must get it some day!
sooner rather than later..;)

KGA Kreations, LLC said...

Beautiful!!!

JEROSHA Ă„RETUN said...

Hi! I'm Jerosha and a new fan of yours. I love your handmade papers =) I made a lot with my son years ago and here's my take on it http://scrapbookingwithjerosha.blogspot.se/2012/08/how-to-make-acid-free-paper.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails