Thursday, July 18, 2013

DIY watercolor palette

I am thrilled to share a guest post from watercolorist Gina Lee Kim. Gina attended my You, Me & the Sea Retreat back in April and she is such a delightful person and talented artist! I was so inspired by her DIY watercolor palette that she brought to class, that I asked her to share her process with my readers! Enjoy!

My DIY Travel PalettePeople ask me all the time where I purchased my tiny watercolor palette. I made it myself! Here I am, mid-flight, painting color swatches into my journal. I was on my way to an Alisa Burke retreat!

My DIY Travel Palette
As you can see, I own a lot of watercolor palettes!! Can't take them all; bigger ones must stay home.


My DIY Travel PaletteThere are many watercolor travel palettes on the market today. These two are from Winsor & Newton.



My DIY Travel Palette
Many travelers use an empty Altoid tin as a clever, compact watercolor palette. I wanted to go even lighter and was happy to find a thin plastic storage case already in my stash (bought years ago at a scrapbook craft store in England).


My DIY Travel Palette
Danielsmith.com sells empty full-pan and half-pans that can be filled with tube watercolors. I was careful to squeeze out the pigments I wanted and let everything air-dry overnight on a flat surface.

My DIY Travel Palette
Tip: anchor all your pans with a touch of rubber cement to prevent them from falling out.

My DIY Travel Palette
I made a tiny color swatch on watercolor paper, cut it to size, and then laminated it.


My DIY Travel Palette
Don't forget to make a tiny pull-tab with transparent tape.

  1. My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette
    Laminating my mini color swatch functions as a perfect divider or barrier between the watercolors and travel rag (I use a simple dish towel).


    My DIY Travel Palette
     I decided to take out one of the slots to hold a tiny sea sponge.

    My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette
    At the airport with my trusty tools, waiting for my flight home. :)



    Gina Lee Kim is a watercolorist that fell in love with mixed-media. She is an art journaler, pen hoarder, paper addict, a registered nurse, and a new mom. Gina's artwork was recently published in Cloth Paper Scissors PAGES magazine (Summer 2013, Vol. 3 issue).
    You can view Gina's work at: ginaleekim@blogspot.com

30 comments:

Emilia said...

I love this post and I loved the pictures that Gina shared after the retreat. I think there is a mistake with her blog address.

Obat Sakit Kencing Setelah ML said...

I thank you for the info nice and very useful

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I often struggle with the watercolour palletes which you can buy as the selections of colours in them aren't always the ones I use most, so this is a great idea for putting together a custom one :)

Barnicles said...

Great post! love this idea and so useful!

Barnicles xx

Giddings Art said...

This is a wonderful idea for having a custom set of your most used colors. I love that it is so tiny for travel.

HOLLEY DOWNS said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Glimmerbug said...

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love this idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

AngieR said...

I LOVE this idea!!! It's great to be able to choose your own color palette from your stash! Thanks for sharing!

AlexM said...

so ingenuous! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love this. A great way to have exactly the paint colors you use the most often and so nice to make a small travel size.

Unknown said...

Oh my god this is SO COOL!
I love it!!!

I have to make one of these for my sister!

Thank you for Sharing it :)

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Well, who knew? Super cool.

redzshadow said...

This was a great post. Such a good idea! Thank you both!

Colleayn said...

I have been thinking of making something like this in an altoid tin, but I love yours much better. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this:)!What an absolutely awesome idea:)!!!

Savia Jane said...

Wow. This was such a beautiful post.
Thank you Alisa and Gina Lee Kim.

patty said...

Love this post and you 2 lovely wellsprings of creativity!!

vintagevixenarts said...

Such a great mini palette! And thank you so much for sharing the resources. I'm always taking an entire tote of waaay too many supplies and use a fraction, so this will really help me downscale when traveling:0

kimberley margarette said...

amazing. thank you for sharing!

fran pascazio said...

Thank you both for sharing this great idea! I love it . . .

Carmen said...

I really love this - in particular the swatch that doubles as a barrier. Thank you soi much for sharing both of you :)

GreenDotCreations said...

That was a blog post to adore! Thank you! :-)

Annie said...

Love this post! Would Gina mind posting the watercolors she put in her palette?

Lesley Edmonds said...

This is a fabulous idea....thank you for sharing.

ASHLEE said...

Loved this post so much I had to make myself a watercolor journal (http://craftsparklepop.blogspot.com/2013/08/handmade-watercolor-journal.html). I haven't gotten to the travel palate yet! I love your posts and now follow Gina as well. Thanks for sharing your awesomeness!
Ashlee

Unknown said...

Love this idea. But I'm wondering does the paint get harden? I don't mind that. Like I said I'm wondering, that all.

Unknown said...

cara mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah obat kemaluan keluar nanah ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat penis keluar nanah kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan keluar nanah kemaluan keluar cairan nanah mengapa kemaluan keluar nanah cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan kencing perih dan keluar cairan nanah cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan pria mengapa cairan nanah keluar dari kemaluan kemaluan pria keluar nanah penyebab kemaluan keluar cairan nanah cara mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah kemaluan keluar nanah di sertai perih saat kencing mengobati kemaluan keluar nanah pada pria mengobati kemaluan keluar cairan nanah pada pria mengobati kelamin keluar nanah mengobati kemaluan pria yang keluar nanah

Unknown said...

I love your home made travel watercolor pallet. You truly inspire

Dortesjs said...

I love this post and I loved the pictures, thanks for showing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails