Thursday, July 18, 2013

DIY watercolor palette

I am thrilled to share a guest post from watercolorist Gina Lee Kim. Gina attended my You, Me & the Sea Retreat back in April and she is such a delightful person and talented artist! I was so inspired by her DIY watercolor palette that she brought to class, that I asked her to share her process with my readers! Enjoy!

My DIY Travel PalettePeople ask me all the time where I purchased my tiny watercolor palette. I made it myself! Here I am, mid-flight, painting color swatches into my journal. I was on my way to an Alisa Burke retreat!

My DIY Travel Palette
As you can see, I own a lot of watercolor palettes!! Can't take them all; bigger ones must stay home.


My DIY Travel PaletteThere are many watercolor travel palettes on the market today. These two are from Winsor & Newton.



My DIY Travel Palette
Many travelers use an empty Altoid tin as a clever, compact watercolor palette. I wanted to go even lighter and was happy to find a thin plastic storage case already in my stash (bought years ago at a scrapbook craft store in England).


My DIY Travel Palette
Danielsmith.com sells empty full-pan and half-pans that can be filled with tube watercolors. I was careful to squeeze out the pigments I wanted and let everything air-dry overnight on a flat surface.

My DIY Travel Palette
Tip: anchor all your pans with a touch of rubber cement to prevent them from falling out.

My DIY Travel Palette
I made a tiny color swatch on watercolor paper, cut it to size, and then laminated it.


My DIY Travel Palette
Don't forget to make a tiny pull-tab with transparent tape.

  1. My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette
    Laminating my mini color swatch functions as a perfect divider or barrier between the watercolors and travel rag (I use a simple dish towel).


    My DIY Travel Palette
     I decided to take out one of the slots to hold a tiny sea sponge.

    My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette

    My DIY Travel Palette
    At the airport with my trusty tools, waiting for my flight home. :)



    Gina Lee Kim is a watercolorist that fell in love with mixed-media. She is an art journaler, pen hoarder, paper addict, a registered nurse, and a new mom. Gina's artwork was recently published in Cloth Paper Scissors PAGES magazine (Summer 2013, Vol. 3 issue).
    You can view Gina's work at: ginaleekim@blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails