Monday, July 01, 2013

reclaimed wood American flag

While I am married to a Veteran (the hubs was Navy Search and Rescue) I must admit that I am not the most patriotic person but for the last few years I've had the idea of an American flag as "big statement art" floating around in my head.  I wanted to create something that was a tribute to the flag, something rustic with a twist of Americana. I know I am not the first to come up with something like this but nonetheless I set out to create my own version!  

Important note- this project is a representation of the American flag (not an exact replica). I am aware of the symbolism of the flag and appreciate flag protocol but I made the creative decision not use it for this project. I apologize in advance if this is offensive to anyone out there.


When my parents tore down an old fence a couple months ago, I knew that the old weathered wood would be perfect for my flag idea! I started by picking out 6 good pieces that had lots character to them and let them dry out in the sun.

Next, I lined up the pieces of wood and Andy nailed 2 x 2's to the back.

Then I taped off the different areas (for stars and stripes) and started painting.

I wanted a really light wash that would let the character of the wood show through so I mixed 50% paint- 50% water. 

Then I started painting!


I added stars with spray paint and a stencil.



The last step was to sand it down and distress the surface and add a wire to the back for hanging.


I am thrilled with the results and we loved it so much that we hung it in the living room- perfect timing for the 4th of July but I am excited to have it hanging year round!



30 comments:

P'tite Plume said...

Wow! Very beautiful ♥♥♥

Preeti Dubey said...

Such beautiful piece of art !! and very inspiring.

Giggles said...

Gorgeous piece of Artwork! Love all that went into this piece even though I'm not American!

Hugs Giggles

Potiron said...

Love what you did with this wood... recycled wood has so much character and it does fit in with your decor and your art!!! and my has your little girl grown!!!!

Love this flag with an aged look...

you're so inspiring, thank you!!!

Melanie said...

Wow, that's a vy beautiful peace of art.
Love the wood and distressing.
Liefs, Melanie

Kerstin said...

I Love it. It´s beautiful♥

LG Kerstin

Царевна Лягушка said...

Alice, you're the best creative woman among all the bloggers! I admire your Tallant, your ideas and what you have in the end! It is super! Good for you!

Mary Sane said...

Ok, if my comment shows up twice, just ignore it (cranky internet over here). Gorgeous piece of art! Looks freaking gorgeous, you've done such a great job. But why on earth do you feel the need for apologizing?? If anyone gets offended they probably take things a LITTLE bit too seriously...but then that's their problem and not your responsibility. Your apology says a lot about the society you live in - quite frankly scary!

Meghan Thimjon said...

Love love love it!!!!

dawn said...

Meghan above said just what I was going to say too...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! My favorite color combo of all is red,white,blue and the Fourth of July is my 2nd favorite holiday! I too made a flag out of wood last year and have mine sitting out too.
I love the look and size of yours, looks great on the wall!!
Way to go on finally getting your flag done so you can enjoy it everyday.

Unknown said...

The "frayed" edges on the stripe side appear war torn and nicely aged

Mary Schweitzer said...

I am not a big flag person, but I do like this one very much.
I sent you an e-mail re your abstract class back on the 19th of last month, I am wondering if you got it?
Thanx!
Mary Schweitzer

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Alisa, would you pls share with us what type of paint you used for this project? Was is latex house paint or craft paints?

Thx
Cristi

Bonita Rose said...

just beautiful!

Becky Voth said...

It's wonderful Alisa! It looks perfect on your wall!

marie said...

Wonderful piece of artwork!! It looks awesome in your space.

Lynda said...

great piece - looks like it has weathered many a storm. Hope you saved a lot more of that fence, I see more such projects in your future.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful piece of artistic work. It ties the room together perfectly. Just Beautiful!!!!

Barb
NC

Teacher5Reader said...

What a beautiful piece of art work for your home! It took my breath away when I saw the living room photo with the light shining in. You continue to amaze me :-)

robert said...

WOW!!! i love the artwork!! Good job!!!!

Raine said...

What a beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Wow! Lucy's getting so big!

Geisslein said...

Such an amazing work - I LOVE it!

Jo Murray said...

A wonderful project...looks great on the wall.

studioGypsy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Soo love it!! Xo

Christine E-E said...

what a fabulous addition to your living room! I'm all for repurposing & recycling.

Angela said...

I'm not usually super into the Americana theme either but this does look gorgeous!

iHanna said...

Love it Alisa. Totally makes me think of Jasper Johns art too!

Julie said...

Love it! Happy 4th!

Dori Patrick said...

I adore this!!! Great work, Alisa!

Anonymous said...

RUSTIQUES
Whether your current project is new construction or a remodeled space, items from Rustiques can give you that one-of-a-kind architectural feel. Rustiques is going through the meticulous process of carefully dismantling each treasured piece of the West Point Stevens Mill. Construction of the original section of the mill was supported by 25? pine beams have a 3? x 6? sub-flooring and face nailed maple hardwood floors. The materials are milled from support beams measuring 10?x 18 1/2?x 25? and sub-flooring beams. We are reclaiming the beams, flooring and other miscellaneous antique items which are all offered for sale to the public. Reclaimed wood can be delivered to Atlanta, GA, Charleston, SC and all major cities in between.

300 South Main Street
Calhoun Falls, SC 29628
Rustiquesonline@gmail.com
Office: 864-418-0292

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails