Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homemade Basil Ginger Green Tea (iced)

IMG_1491
Around our house we are always looking for healthy and refreshing beverages so I decided to put together something easy and yummy that made use of things that I had on hand in kitchen and in the garden... iced basil ginger green tea.


IMG_1495
We drink A LOT of green tea so I knew I wanted to use it for this drink.
I started by brewing a pot.

If you do not have loose leaf, use green tea bags.


vb
Just a quick side story-

See this hot 4.0L water dispenser above? Well, last Christmas my husband bought it for me along with a traditional cast iron tea set and TONS of different varieties of loose leaf green tea.

When I opened it I up I looked at him and said, "Um...I don't drink tea and I really don't think I need a giant hot water dispenser."

I KNOW! How ungrateful was I?

His reply, was, "Alisa you just don't know that you need it yet, your are going to love drinking tea, I promise that you will use it every day."

As much as I hate to admit it, he was right- this hot water dispenser and tea pot gets used every single day and I can't imagine my routine with out freshly brewed green tea!


IMG_1459
Anyway...after brewing a pot of tea, I chopped fresh ginger and dropped it into a pot of simmering water for about 10-12 minutes.
Note- fresh ginger is strong and has a spicy flavor to it- I used about 6-7 piece for a nice medium flavor.


IMG_1467
I strained the ginger tea into a pitcher.


IMG_1471
and added the green tea.


IMG_1472
I added a squeeze or two of honey


IMG_1475
and a squeeze of lemon.


IMG_1476
I stirred the everything and put it in the fridge to cool.


IMG_1478
While I we typically drink tea simple and plain, I decided to make it a little special to go with dinner.
I rimmed the glasses with a little organic sugar.


IMG_1480
I dropped in ice cubes.


IMG_1481
I picked thai basil from the garden- Thai basil has a slightly minty licorice flavor.


IMG_1484
and added it to each glass.


IMG_1491
I filled the glasses with tea and topped with a basil flower for garnish.


bn

SO yummy- light and sweet with a little spice.

IMG_1492
IMG_1494

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails