Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Healthy Spring Rolls

IMG_6144
Can I just tell you that I am in love with fresh healthy food- the color, the smell, the texture...pretty much everything. While I cook a lot, lately I've been taking more time to savor the process of grocery shopping, hunting for fresh local ingredients, prepping and treating everything that I cook like one of my art projects - simple, lots of creativity and tons of color! My most favorite thing to make and eat are fresh Vietnamese inspired spring rolls- they are healthy, quick and easy to prepare!


IMG_6105
I started by cutting up all of my favorite veggies and fruit- carrots, cabbage, cucumber, arugula, apples, cilantro, avocado.


IMG_6108


IMG_6114


IMG_5898
Is it just me or do these bracelets that I am working on sort of resemble all those chopped veggies?! Sorry I digress- my creative ADD has kicked in!


IMG_6106



IMG_6112
Next I made a batch of rice- if you want to be REALLY healthy- go for brown rice.


IMG_6116
I grilled some tofu with a little oil and garlic.


IMG_6117
After all of my ingredients were prepped, it was time to fill the wrappers!
The key to the healthy spring rolls are wrappers that don't have to be fried- they are made from rice flour and can be found at asian markets or even some grocery stores.


IMG_6118
The wrappers are crispy in the package but become pliable once soaked in water.


IMG_6120
Soak wrapper for about 10-30 seconds or until they are pliable but not mushy.


IMG_6122


IMG_6123
Add veggies to the middle of the wrapper,


IMG_6124
fold the ends up,


IMG_6125
and then roll up (like a burrito).


IMG_6127


IMG_6129
Cut in half- I was in such a hurry to eat these that my knife skills were sloppy.


IMG_6140

Serve with your favorite dipping sauce- mine is peanut sauce :)

IMG_6139

Enjoy!



Spicy Peanut Sauce

2 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons 'lite' coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste

Whisk peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper until smooth.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails