Tuesday, June 06, 2017

fold and print!


Over the years I've developed all kinds of short cuts and tricks when I am painting. One of my favorites is what I call my "fold and print" method. It's a really fast and easy way to quickly fill a surface with lots of color or pattern.



This technique works the best on either fabric or canvas and I like to begin with a surface filled with color.

Next, I add a layer of pattern. One of my favorite supplies is 3-D paint (or puff paint) because it has lots of dimension and the applicator tip is perfect for drawing and doodling! The key to this technique is making sure that you have thick paint on the surface. In fact, the more paint the better the print you will be able to create. 

Next, I fold the opposite side of the canvas over and on top of the design. Using my hand, I lightly press the canvas down.


Then I slowly peel the canvas away- leaving a print of the design.

I like to continue this process until the entire surface if filled with pattern!

The result is a colorful surface filled with pattern!



6 comments:

Anastasia Marshall said...

I LOVE how colourful your site is! Instantly inspired x

Joanne said...

Love this........

Lynda said...

Wow! I wasn't sure where you were going with this, but sure glad I watched the whole thing. Thanks for the inspiration again today. I'll definitely try this.

Unknown said...

Love this! Planning to try this soon! Do you use fabric paint or regular craft paint?

Dara Lynn said...

Definitely a way to loosen up and have fun!!!! Love this play with fabric and mediums :)

Julie Filatoff said...

Hi, Alisa: I took a fabric-painting workshop with you in Irvine, CA, several years ago. The "fold and paint" piece we did is still one of my favorites. I used it as the central panel for an art quilt. It's the top-left one here: https://jirafstudio.com/portfolio/fiber-artart-quilts/ Thanks for all you do! Julie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails