Thursday, May 26, 2016

nesting season at haystack rock



This my friends is Haystack Rock. Haystack Rock is a 235 foot sea stack located in Cannon Beach, Oregon. We are about 10 minutes away from this beautiful beach and it's one of our favorite local spots to hang out.
 I grew up here and honestly the magic of this place never ceases to amaze me.

What makes Haystack Rock and the surrounding rocks (they are called "The Needles) so cool is that there is wildlife everywhere! It was granted marine garden status back in 1990 which means no collecting plants or animals. But you can still explore and it is one of my favorite place to take photos.

From starfish to sea anemones, to crabs, chitons, sea slugs and more, there is some much to discover at low tide!
Haystack Rock is also a nesting site for all kinds of sea birds and right now we are in the midst of nesting season. This means hundreds and thousands of sea birds flock to the surface of the rock and make nests, lay eggs, feed their chicks and then fly off to the ocean. It is an amazing sight to see especially because we get flocks of Tufted Puffins nesting. 


haystack rock from Alisa Burke on Vimeo.

We've spent a couple of mornings down here photographing the nesting activity and it is really beautiful to see all the different birds flocking to the rock.

There are so many birds flying back and forth gathering materials for their nests, bringing back fish for their chicks- it's a lot of activity and it is amazing.

If you look closely you can see all kinds of Pelagic Cormorant (I am pretty sure this is the name of these birds) up on the rocks.
Photographing birds is really hard and I've spent years trying capture the illusive puffins that flock here in the spring. While these little guys are everywhere, they are so hard to capture because they are so busy but FINALLY I was able to capture a few photos! 




Oh how I love nature!


17 comments:

muriel said...

Ah, this is exactly the sort of spot I so love! It reminds me of my favourite place in France, in Brittany, a place called "la Fauconnière" where birds also nest.

cococita said...

Thank you for sharing: it's so special and so such a precious experience to witness this pure beauty of nature. I once saw quite the same scenery when I was traveling in South America, at the Galapagos.
Could you please share the source for that sweet music, accompanying your video? It would be great background music for me while painting in my studio. Thank you so much, Alisa!

cococita said...

PS: the way you managed to capture these fascinating birds is truly extraordinary. These are wonderful species to draw! Un grand merci :)

Kaili | Weird Wonderful Wanderlust said...

Haystack Rock was one of my favorite stops along the Oregon Coast when I visited a couple years ago. Although it was fall, so it was chilly & overcast, it was still magical. I've been dreaming of moving out there ever since.

weirdwonderfulwanderlust.blogspot.com

Sherrie Spangler said...

Love your shots of the puffins! I visited Haystack Rock in April a few years ago and remember the wealth of birds and other wildlife. Thanks for sharing the beauty of nature.

Stephanie said...

stunning! Love the puffin photos

studioGypsy said...

oh man. we have got to get there someday!! what a magical place! and those puffins are just the cutest things in the world, and flying with those feet! the absolute best!! thankyou for sharing and showing your amazing pix.. makes me so happy! xoxo will have to show my kiddos.xo

Lora Dawn said...

Wow....I just came from a 10 day vacation at Haystack Rock area yesterday. I loved the lush greenery in the community. Your photographs are more telling that what I could see with my naked eye in my treks on the beach. Well done. Thanks!

Debra Kapellakis said...

I lived in Portland, Or. for 15 years this was my favorite beach to visit.

Kristen said...

I always enjoy your photos of the gorgeous Oregon coast but Haystack Rock is spectacular! I must visit someday.

Brig said...

You're enticing me to that area more and more. It's definitely a place I want to go now that I would never have known about before. It's gorgeous! Thank you for sharing these beautiful places that you are.

Barb said...

Outstanding photography. What a fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Mary W said...

The puffin pictures are just wonderful and I enjoyed seeing them flying. There was one that had its wings pumping and feet down for a landing that just made me smile so much. I could almost feel what it was feeling as it came down. Especially liked the view of the rock with all the birds in the distance - seemed to go on forever with birds flying in - just amazing. I enjoyed my short trip - thanks!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Thanl you for sharing your fantastic photos. My favorite place on the whole west coast,

Anonymous said...

I have lived in Oregon for 27 years and Cannon Beach is one of my favorite spots. I haven't been there in a few years, so it is nice to see photos. Watching the puffins is a treat.

se7en said...

Puffins are on my life list... I have to see them, looks like I am going to have to travel to the antipodean side of the world to see them!!!

ANeibaur said...

I love that you posted this! I was literally JUST THERE this last Saturday for the first time in my life, and I saw a puffin! I was so excited I brought a fun puffin toy home for my boy. I live a good 13 hours away, and I so wish I had had more time to explore that beautiful rock and everything surrounding it. It just blew my mind! I loved it so much. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails