Thursday, August 06, 2015

ocean themed gallery wall


About every six months I get an uncontrollable itch to move things around in our house. I'm a MAJOR nester and I've been like this for as long as I can remember! In fact I can remember being a kid constantly moving my bedroom furniture. Recently I got that old familiar feeling and decided to do some major cleaning, organizing and changing our living room space around. The biggest change I made was to create an ocean themed gallery wall in our living room. 

The ocean plays a huge role in our lives- it is where we go to explore, pray, celebrate, exercise, connect and play. And since I come from a surfing family, we have lots of photos and surfing paraphernalia around. I thought it would be fun to use some of my favorite photos to create an ocean themed gallery wall. I started by printing the photos (I use a Cannon Pixma Pro-10). While I love color, I tried to select photos that had a color theme- lots of bright white with pops of subtle blues and greens. Then I framed everything in white frames.

Next, Andy hung an alaia surfboard that he recently shaped. An alaia is a thin, round nosed, square tailed surfboard ridden in pre-20th century Hawaii made from wood. The board was so pretty that I thought it would make a neat focal point for the wall. Andy made some sturdy wood hooks for the board to sit in and easily be removed when he uses it.

Then I arranged the framed photos beneath the board and called it good!

I love how bright and white this simple change has made in the living room. I also love being surrounded by all things from the sea!

11 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

HOW sweet!

Creative Khadija said...

Super pretty! love it

Home sweet home said...

Stunning,lovley photos.

britt said...

i love to change around my house too but my husband hates it! he gets so mad when he comes in and things aren't where they used to be. I would change the house around about every 2 weeks and give it all good clean. now i have to control my urges. such a bummer.

and your room looks gorgeous. well done!

sue said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE it! So cozy!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful!!! I love how light and airy your house is! I also have a hankering to move things around after awhile (I would constantly move my furniture around as a kid... it must have driven my parents crazy! :) ). I'm currently in the middle of a major overhaul of our stuff (revamping furniture, de cluttering, moving furniture around, rethinking all the things on our walls, changing color schemes). It has been taking some time to do... Your blog has inspired me a lot in realizing that a lot of the home decor I like most is hand made stuff that speak to the soul... Thanks for the daily inspiration!!

moongirl said...

Love your wall! ...and that is one great book.

studioGypsy said...

oh blissful beauty!! and love seeing lucy's beautiful flowing hair! :D thanks for the inspiration as always.. i am craving an upchange in our living space and this may just nudge me forward. :) xoxoxo

Stephanie said...

stunning!

Unknown said...

May I ask you where you purchased the frames??

Elisa said...

beautiful, light and meditative! that is the BEST parenting book as well! Hands down. Go see him talk if he pops up near you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails