Monday, August 17, 2015

marbled acrylic painting



One of my most popular posts of all time is my spray paint marbling tutorial back from 2014. I've received all kinds of questions about this process and recently I received an inquiry about how to marbleize a canvas. I am sure there are a variety of different ways to create marbleized wall art - technically you can frame marbled paper but I thought it would be fun today to share a long time painting trick of mine that creates the look of marbling.

After spending over half of my life painting, I've got a lot of tricks and short cuts that I have discovered through experimentation. Today's trick is something I stumbled upon years ago. Since I typically paint on large surfaces, in lots of layers, I am always looking for ways to quickly fill a surface with color and texture. One day I discovered that when you smash a wet surface (like canvas or wood) into wet paint you can create a fast beautiful and blended abstract surface filled with color that has a marbled look to it! 

I start by laying down plastic or even a drop cloth on the floor. Next, I squirt, drop, splatter and spill paint onto the plastic. Then I grab a paint brush and move the paint around- just a little bit.

Then I grab a spray bottle filled with water and I "spritz" the paint, enough to get things a little watery.

Next I press my surface (in this case I used a light weight wood panel) into the paint.

I pull my wood panel away to reveal a colorful, blended surface. Depending on the result I may press my panel back into the paint or add more paint and water to the plastic to achieve a more marbled look.

TIP- For a little more of the marbled effect, scrunch up the plastic letting the paint run and mix together.
The final results will NEVER look exactly like marbled paper but I actually like it better! There is something so yummy about layers of thick juicy color, blended and dripping together.


These surfaces make a great beginning layer for a painting or collage or even can be abstract and colorful art sure to add a POP of color to a wall!


21 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

A Fantastic IDEA!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I agree this looks better than marbling....It looks like a beautiful painting...
Thanks for the great idea!!!

Meghan Thimjon said...

Love this! But then again I love everything you do!

Carmen said...

Gorgeous! I love the one you put on the wall! Great tip - thank you :)

Nupur said...

love it...will definitely try it out :)

Stephanie said...

Besides looking like a lot of fun, the results are absolutely gorgeous!!! I especially love the one you have on the wall! I bet this would be a hit with kids!

Jorin said...

Wow, that's a really lovely trick, thank you for sharing this! One question: You wrote "when you smash a wet surface (like canvas or wood) into wet paint" - do you wet the canvas or the wood?
Jorin

Claudia said...

What a great technique - simple and clever!
Thinking of a smaller scale version to use for the backgrounds of Christmas (or whatever) cards...
Thanks for sharing!

Beulah Bee said...

Thank you for sharing this incredible technique, your results are just outstanding and I can't wait to try this myself.

Alisa Burke said...

you could wet them but I like to smash my blank/dry surface (canvas or wood) into my "pile" of paint- just like I did above in the post!

Stephanie said...

Alisa, you never cease to amaze my with your tips and techniques! This is fab

Rose Clearfield said...

Thanks, Alisa! So fabulous!

Suman Pandit said...

Love the colors you used, these go together so beautifully !! Mine get muddy at times, can you suggest something pl Alisa ?

Brig said...

Nice! A great idea for kids too! ;0)

Mobile App Developers said...

Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This looks like so much messy fun. Can't wait to try it.

ancsapancsa said...

Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Hi this is an awesome technique. I was wondering how it would work to do it on a canvas that is 30 x 40? I have searched diff techs & ways to paint my canvas. I am transferring multiple photos onto it and was wondering if this would work or if there is an adaptation to get the same look that would be easy to implement on such a large canvas?

Unknown said...

Amazing! fantastic idea.I never heard before. Color selection and final results are very cute. I would love to try it.http://www.artshedonline.com.au/chroma-2-student-acrylic-paint/

Unknown said...

Art sux

Unknown said...

Obat Radang Pita Suara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails