Friday, November 02, 2012

fashion friday- recycled felt medallion necklace

Untitled-2
I have spent months staring at a pile of baby food jar lids hoping that I would come up with something unique and creative to make with them. FINALLY one day it hit me- they are the perfect size for a medallion for a necklace and I could fill the inside with something colorful and creative. There are probably all kinds of unique ways to fill the inside of a lid (beads, resin, metal, found objects, etc) but I decided on doing something a little unexpected- using felt.


hjpg
1. I started with colorful felt and cut out a circle the size of my lid. 2. I cut small colorful shapes that would be arranged on top of the black felt. 3. Using my sewing machine, a free motion foot and white thread, I sewed all of my shapes down to the to black circle (I love messy stitching so I went a little wild) 4. Next I prepared my lid by drilling a hole at the top so I could add a jump ring. 5. Then I used Tacky Glue and glued down a piece of stuffing. 6. I glued my felt medallion onto the stuffing and tucked the edges under the lip of the lid.

Last, I added a jump ring and put it on a chain. I loved it so much I created a few and even turned one into a big statement ring!


IMG_3635IMG_3633IMG_3656
IMG_3684IMG_3681

19 comments:

kamillku said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I need that necklace....i see a craft project in my near future. Absolutely amazing idea :)

x said...

These are incredible! Thanks for the tutorial. I will be making these ASAP (plus, they give me a great excuse to drink more bottled teas!).

Julie Arthur // alonewithmytea.com said...

You could spray paint the lids metallic colors, I think that would look even better! great idea, thanks for sharing!

Julie
alonewithmytea.blogspot.com

Samie said...

Girl, you are amazing! I am always blown away by your never-ending creativity!!!

Shahrul Niza said...

Supercool!!. LOVE the vibrant colors & gorgeous metal. THAT ring screams power! LOL. LOVE LOVE this idea.

Anonymous said...

LOVE these! original & awesome. :)

haikele-made said...

A very cool idea! You are an inspiration me. Lg Heike

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I need to start looking for recycled metal lids. ;) Thanks for sharing!!

ach! said...

So cute and clever! Have to try it! ach!

Lalav said...

I used bigger lids + stuffing + fabric to create earmuffs.
Who would've ever guessed lids could be so useful?!

I love your project.

Christina Perraki said...

This is great. And original i would add. Never had thought to do something like this with a lid.

liniecat said...

A whole new interpretation on 'medallion' man!!
Priceless idea this : )

OnePerfectDay said...

These are WONDERFUL!!
I love the colours too!

Nancy said...

Lovely! Simple and Easy to make but the outcome is great! Thank you for sharing the idea!

PALOMA ACCESSORIES said...

Eres tan muy creativa!

Jane said...

Fantastic upcycling! Absolutely inspirational, love it :-)

Cucicucicoo said...

these are gorgeous! what a shame i threw out so many of those dang lids... :) lisa

Unknown said...

How cool!! Love this idea!! you have a really wonderful blog and website! Really inspirational =) Hope to enter in one of you classes one day!! Merry Christmas from Spain!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails