Monday, May 01, 2017

dresser turned planter

We have finally reached an end (or at least a break) in the rain here on the Oregon Coast. This means it's time to start all of my gardening projects! First on my to do list is getting our deck cleaned up so we can spend lots of time eating outside this summer. Last year I painted an epic floor mural on our deck which has made this space feel so much more special. This year I decide that I wanted to bring more planters and greenery onto our deck. We have a MAJOR deer problem in our neighborhood so it would be nice to use this space for flowers and plants that those pesky deer like to eat. 

After a lot of brainstorming, I decided to repurpose an old dresser and turn it into a planter! I've had this thrifted dressed in my different studio spaces for the last 15 years and it was just filled with junk. So I cleaned it out and gave it a quick coat of paint.

Next I opened the drawers ( I only used two of them) and screwed them into place so they would be secure and open. We also attached a bracket to the back of the dresser and wall so that it wouldn't fall forward or move around.

The next step was to begin planting! I used one of the drawers for plants in pots so I could switch them out and move them in the coming months. 

Then I lined the other drawer with plastic and drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the drawer. I added soil and planted directly into the drawer.
The result is a really whimsical and colorful planter! I love that an old piece of furniture can totally be repurposed for the garden!

7 comments:

Vanssmomc said...

What a wonderful idea. Wish I had an old dresser to use. We also have a deer problem, and gave up on a vegetable garden, we now grow tomatoes on our deck along with our herbs. We have so many lovely farmers markets and stands in our area, that we buy the rest of our produce from them. We live in western New York by lovely Lake Ontario. Cathy

JJO said...

What a great idea! Love the look. Thank you for sharing.

Rose M. Rodriguez said...

Wow! That looks great together! The colors and the dreser, pink color, expectacular! Creativity is a means at our disposal to color our spaces with the life of colors, greetings! ROse M.

BlueBirdLegacy said...

This is so very lovely! Beautiful color choice. And I'm always up for a great recycle project that keeps stuff out of the landfill. Pretty deck! It is always a win-win when our diy makes for a useful and gorgeous item.

Anonymous said...

If you cut a hole in the side the space could be used to keep small gardening tools as well. ;-)

crissy // mama boss said...

Oh, I love this! What a fun idea!

yuccabe said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely ideas with us.Really so beautiful collection
Large Fiberglass Planter

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails