Tuesday, August 25, 2015

floral alphabet with makewells





Hello! It's Megan from Makewells and I'm back with some more lettering tips and tricks! Today I'm showing you a creative way to add a little flair to your lettering. 

I'm obsessed with drawing/doodling florals, so today I am combining two of my favorite things: lettering and flowers!

If you've followed along with my lettering series, you'll know that I always like to start out with some basic pencil sketches. For this project, I decided to create an alphabet, so I quickly worked my way through the 26 letters to come up with the forms I would use for each letter.

After finalizing my sketches, I created each letter to go in my floral alphabet. Below, you'll see the step by step process:



1. Lightly draw the basic form of the letter
2. Thicken downstrokes
3. Erase area you'd like to put the flower, and lightly draw in


4. Ink (I used a Micron pen - just make sure you use a pen that is waterproof)
5. Use watercolor to add a splash of color to the flower. 




That's it! An easy way to add a little flair to your lettering. 

For the alphabet I created, I mixed up the places that I added the flowers, depending on the form of each letters. 

Here's the entire alphabet:


Another alternative is to paint the letters and flowers in acrylic. I followed the same steps sketching, but then used acrylic paint for both elements instead of ink and watercolor.





Of course you don't have to do just flowers. Get creative with other elements to create your own series! Bugs, bows, sea life...anything goes!








Have fun applying this technique to any of your lettering projects. I decided to send some extra happy mail to a friend, using the floral alphabet for the first letters in her name and city. 



Happy creating! Don't forget to post your projects on instagram using #redefinecreativelettering 

Xo, Megan
@Makewells (instagram)

17 comments:

Jane said...

How beautiful I also love using calligraphy and doodles in my work....it makes things so unique. Thanks for sharing x

Jane said...

How beautiful I also love using calligraphy and doodles in my work....it makes things so unique. Thanks for sharing x

Unknown said...

So beautiful!! Very inspiring - thanks for sharing :)
Doris

Creative Khadija said...

This is so cute :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

So cute!

iHanna said...

I'm So enjoying this series about lettering, and wanted to thank you ladies for sharing it for free - it's super fun to see all your awesome photo of lettering here Megan. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jill said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! I love all the different lettering embellishments that you used. I'm always looking for fun ways to spruce up letters and this is a perfect addition to my Letter Journal! Thank you!

Unknown said...

my two favorite people!

Stephanie said...

great tutorial! thanks.

SewPaperPaint said...

BEST EVER tutorial! YES!!! Love this!

laia.altimir said...

It's really nice!! I love it!

bernadette said...

it's beautiful ! I live in Belgium, and since two years, I visit your blog nearly every day, a few minutes before the beginning of the work ! I love your colours and original ideas to include paint in your live.
b.varlet@awiph.be

Mary W said...

These lovely letters remind me of old embroidered hankies and would make pretty sets of get-well cards. Nice!

Julie Arthur // alonewithmytea.com said...

I hope Kristen Hill doesn't mind her address on display for thousands of people to see! ;)

Doodlebug said...

Gorgeous!! I enjoy reading your posts! 😃👍🏻

Tina said...

oh, i am so happy, that i found this blog - wow - i love your art of lettering!! thank you so much for sharing!!

Autumn said...

I have enjoyed all these posts! Very beautiful! I never really thought of lettering as an art until I saw your gorgeous designs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails