Wednesday, August 19, 2015

creating with a kid- bubble prints

These days when I plan creative projects for Lucy, I tend to gravitate towards things that we both will have fun doing. Recently we had a TON of fun creating bubble prints. Since I am always look for fun ways to create colorful paper for my art journals and Lucy, well she is always looking for new ways to experiment and make a mess- bubble printing was right up our alley!

The materials for this projects are so basic- dish soap, water and something to add color to the water- I used acrylic paint but you could also use food coloring or even watercolors.


In a container, add water, soap and color- the more color you add, the darker and more saturated your bubble prints will be. Mix everything together.

Now it's time for the fun! Grab a straw and blow bubbles, lots and lots of bubbles!

As the bubbles rise, they will have a slight tint of color to them.

Grab a piece of paper (we used watercolor paper) and press the paper on top of the bubbles.

You will be left with a print. Repeat this process over and over again until the paper is filled!


You can also grab a bubble wand, dip it into the colorful soapy water and blow bubbles onto a piece of paper. 

The bubbles will pop and leave in their place really beautiful circles and splatter.

We had so much fun with this process. Lucy lost interest after about 45 minutes and actually started painting with her soapy water but I made tons of beautiful paper for my next art journal!

15 comments:

marion-powertex.blogspot.com said...

Love al your ideas, thanks!

Els04 said...

Lovely!!! And much fun I think!

Rosa said...

Does the residual soap affect future media applications (paint, crayon, etc) on the paper, I wonder. It seems to me that you would have lifting or dissolving of inks and so on, given the soap residue left behind by this process. Still, it looks fun!

Coloribyrob said...

Great Idea. Very fun... Thanks. Rob

muriel said...

Such a great idea to gather new papers with unique designs each time in a very fun way. Thanks for sharing.

Mobile App Developers said...

That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

Terri said...

I love the effect the bubbles create on the paper! Such a cool idea. These will definitely make great backgrounds for doodling over.

lovelife said...

Oh, I like your pictures- you can see the fun you two had creating the new pages!
That's a technic I love to do with my kindergarten kids! Do you know a cheap version of the paper you used- the results are so much better, than with the normal paper we usually use (... The budget you know...!)
Regards from Austria
Catrin

Jo Murray said...

That's wonderful!....I'm going to have a go.

Mary said...

I love using bubble prints in my children's art classes. I've used them for backgrounds with jellyfish and this summer we made bubble printed hydrangeas in terra cotta pots.

An_Geli_Ka said...

thats really cool !

Melissa @ Sweet As Texas Honey said...

I remember doing these as a kid! Now I often use this as a base for journal pages

martha brown said...

I can't wait to do this with my class, Alisa!

AnoushkaD said...

For all the teachers out there, I've used straws for painting activities in my art classes countless times. And no matter which grade I was teaching (up to grade 4) one or several kids ended up "drinking" the paint or the ink. Therefore, make sure you use non-toxic paint (and soap in this case). I don't think that a child could get sick from a bit of ingested paint but sometimes parents and school authorities might be difficult, if you know what I mean... Beautiful pics and ideas, once again, Alisa!

jbonomo said...

Is that cool or what!!!??? Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails