Tuesday, August 31, 2010

cold asian noodle salad

IMG_2707

I married into a GIANT Indonesian family and through time it has greatly influenced the food that I eat and cook. I LOVE and often crave simple Asian flavors that include the use of yummy herbs and spices.

IMG_2713

One of my favorite fresh and simple dishes is a cold shrimp and noodle salad loaded with TONS of flavor.


IMG_2671

I start by preparing cellophane bean thread noodles.
Cellophane noodles are a transparent noodle typically made from mung bean starch and while they have no taste, they are perfect for absorbing flavor.


IMG_2684
The noodles need to be soaked in warm water until they are soft.

IMG_2685

IMG_2693
I boil them for about 30 seconds- YEP- that quick!

IMG_2694

Drain and then I like to cut the noodles so they are shorter and easier to eat!


IMG_2672

Next I prepare the shrimp. I used cooked shrimp that I peppered and salted

IMG_2675

and grilled quickly in my trusty grill pan.

IMG_2677
Next I gathered and prepped all of my favorite herbs and vegis- starting with bean sprouts,

IMG_2679
mint

IMG_2680
cilantro

IMG_2682
thai basil

IMG_2681
carrots


IMG_2683
and green onions.
just about any favorite vegetables will work.

v
Last, I prepare a simple dressing with sesame seed oil, lime juice,

IMG_2688
honey,

IMG_2724
soy sauce,

s
and sambal (chili paste).

(there are a number of different ways to make dressing with different flavors- ginger, fish sauce, peanuts, etc.)

IMG_2699
Last, I mix the noodles, shrimp, herbs, vegis and the dressing and I toss everything together.
I like to serve the salad cold so I move it to the fridge to chill.


IMG_2701

IMG_2700
I transfer the salad to a serving bowl

IMG_2723
and dish myself up a pretty little bowl and eat and eat and eat!

IMG_0827
IMG_0825
IMG_0829
IMG_0830

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails