Monday, July 04, 2011

working with a still life

IMG_8110
When I was in college taking drawing and painting classes- I HATED working on assignments that involved working from a still life. Back then I was really rebellious about my art- I didn't think I needed to learn anything traditional or work from subject matter that I considered boring, I just didn't see the point.

So it is ironic that now, years and years later, I utilize working from a still life all the time (talk about full circle)! And often the subject matter is not exciting at all but instead everyday objects from around the house set up in a simple grouping. What I have discovered over time (after I got all that rebellious art major out of my system) is that taking the time work on and improve your creative skills through discipline and practice will help improve your skills in other areas. While my still life practice paintings are not perfect with perspective or dimension, I have found a way to incorporate my colorful whimsical style with everyday subject matter- which turns out isn't so boring after all!

IMG_7978
IMG_8100
IMG_8106
IMG_8107
IMG_8113
IMG_8117

IMG_8125
IMG_8003

IMG_5638
IMG_8062

IMG_8061

IMG_7973
IMG_8140

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm that rebellious art student who doesn't want to paint still lives. Thank you for inspiring me to give them another bash.

Katie said...

I have never minded still lifes, but always have hated being forced to keep a sketch book. I finally am keeping one for myself and am finding it to be a very useful tool.

Lisa said...

I love your paintings! I just wish I had taken art in school! I never thought I was good enough.. but I sure enjoy it now.

Hashi said...

Alisa, what pen do you use for your final black outlines? I think you have told us in a previous post, but I can't find it.

Anonymous said...

Just lovely! I'm in your sketchbook class and I find your work colorful and full of inspiration!

Emie58 said...

Love these sketches... especially the onion.... it rasies what is a simple onion to a higher level of appreciation. I'm in your WCB class and I hope to take either your color or sketchbook class next.
Emie

Unknown said...

Although I'm not an artist by any stretch, i do love seeing your work Alisa! Yeah, it speaks to me...the colors, the lines, I love it. Thanks! Hugs!

Beverley Baird said...

All your still lives are gorgeous! I have never really done many - I definitely need practice.

Teddi said...

oh i wish we could see some of your rebellious art from back in the day, to compare & contrast.

Lisa Chin said...

I really like the way you use black.

Helen said...

Thank you for inspiring me to paint normal, everyday objects. You bring them to life with such colour, it's wonderful!

Dianne said...

So bright and cheerful! I've been wanting to try my hand at still life... I like the whimsy in yours...

Laura E. (mbmprincessita) said...

Amazing. I so unable to do something like that!!!

vale said...

I was wondering what kind of paper you use to paint? your watercolors look awsome

Neenish Arts said...

beautiful! you are inspiring!

La'son said...

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

love it. thanks for reminding me that still lifes don't always have to feel like work or play by the rules xxx

HollyM said...

They are sure not boring! I love your colorful style!

Hannah said...

Do you have a post that explains what all the tools that you use are? I'd love to know what kind of brushes, etc. Lovely work, as always!

Andrew said...

You're doing great! I remember my brother,he died 20 years ago. He is really good in paintings and abstract..keep up the good work!

pigwidget said...

Totally agree with the thought that still life equals 'boring'. But yup, totally get the practice to see things and refine techniques - after all what have you got to lose?

WordPress Tutorials said...

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!


http://wordpressseotips.net

Lean Muscle X said...

Great ideas and wonderful looking blog what theme are you using? Really love the color.

Minnesota SEO said...

Awesome!

I love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails